Quality Antabuse Quality Hydrochlorothiazide Quality Proscar Quality Risperdal Quality Celebrex Quality Amoxi-tabs Quality Revia Quality Cephalexin Quality Seroquel Quality Zithromax Quality Zocor Quality Nizoral Quality Synthroid Quality Cipro Quality Zoloft Quality Inderal Quality Mobic Quality Prednisolone Quality Aldactone Quality Viagra Quality Propecia Quality Singulair Quality Celexa Quality Fluoxetine Quality Nolvadex Quality Aciclovir Quality Lasix Quality Premarin Quality Paroxetine Quality Capoten Quality Paxil Quality Nexium Quality Prilosec Quality Vermox Quality Furosemide Quality Topamax Quality Lipitor Quality Protonix Quality Flomax Quality Cafergot Quality Prevacid Quality Cytotec Quality Valtrex Quality Strattera Quality Albendazole Quality Doxycycline Quality Levitra Quality Lantus Quality Diflucan Quality Norvasc Quality Atarax Quality Finpecia Quality Lexapro Quality Indocin Quality Levaquin Quality Albenza Quality Xenical Quality Accutane Quality Metformin Quality Relafen Quality Amoxil Quality Zyprexa Quality Neurontin Quality Januvia Quality Plavix Quality Tenormin Quality Cialis Quality Prednisone Quality Clomid Quality Baclofen Quality Remeron Quality Glucophage
Baldwin County Express Inc - Daphne/Methodist Church, 1858

Baldwin County Express Inc - Images of the people and places of Baldwin County, Alabama

Home > Museum & Archive > Daphne

Click to view full size image
Methodist Church, 1858
Old Daphne Methodist Church and Cemetery, 1858

405 Dryer Avenue

Built in 1858 on land donated by Captain William and Elizabeth Howard, this church is one of only two remaining antebellum churches and is the second oldest church building in Baldwin County. The design is typical of the day, a Greek Revival style with country adaptations. It was constructed from heart pine logs with handmade wooden pegs. The interior features the original pews, random-width floorboards (evidence of the crude lumber-cutting methods of the era), and a slave gallery. Before the Civil War, many slaves attended church with their masters, but were segregated to seating in a rear balcony (gallery), which had its own side door entrance. The belfry, damaged by the devastating hurricanes of 1906, 1916 and 1979 (Frederick), has been rebuilt a few times. The black antebellum candle-lit chandelier with six glass globes has been converted to electrical lighting. The original bell, which is lined by silver dollars is displayed at the Daphne United Methodist Church. 5 In the cemetery, grave markers date from 1847 and include two brothers killed in the last two weeks of the Civil War at Spanish Fort, four casualties from the ironclad Osage, the beloved slaves Becky Ann and Snake, and the son of the first Native American to graduate from West Point, David Moniac. Many gravesites are unidentified because their wooden markers decayed with time. Tradition holds that on these grounds there is a mass grave of Union military men, brought ashore after a torpedo hit their freighter. (During the Civil War, a torpedo was a barrel filled with gunpowder and floated just below the surface of the water, ready to explode on contact). In 1924, Peter McAdam enclosed his family plot with clay posts (a Celtic tradition); some of these posts remain intact. From 1870 to 1939, this church was known as the Daphne Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Then in 1939, when the Methodist congregation reunited and forgot their pre-Civil War differences, the name was changed to the Daphne Methodist Church. Today, the church is a museum of local artifacts.

History courtesy: http://www.tourofdaphne.gulfpath.org
William_A_Moesch_and_Ida_E_Bailey.jpg Helena_Rost_Wilson--May_Day_Queen--Daphne_Normal_School--1915.jpg Methodist_Church_1858.jpg Wm_Oleal_s_Pottery,_Daphne.jpg Daphne_Normal_School.jpg



Rate this file (No vote yet)
Rubbish
Poor
Fair
Good
Excellent
Great